GoGuardian COPPA Disclosure & Consent Form
Regarding Personal Student Information
Last Updated: July 31, 2020
Because your School is utilizing GoGuardian Offerings, GoGuardian is providing your School with information about how we collect and use the personally identifiable information of students under thirteen (13) years of age, as set forth in the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“Disclosure”). We are sending this Disclosure to you as an official authorized to act on behalf of your School.
Collection of Personal Student Information
GoGuardian may collect Personal Student Information when a user is logged onto your school-managed accounts and devices provided by your School, a parent/guardian, or a student for your School’s educational purposes. More specifically, GoGuardian collects the following Personal Student Information:
- Student’s School-Managed Account Information and Association Information: GoGuardian Offerings collect a student’s School-managed account information: student’s name, email address, Google Profile ID, Google Image URL, and organizational unit, as well as identifiers and association information necessary to associate a student with a certain device, account, settings, school classroom, and/or parents/guardians.
- Activity Information: Depending on a School’s currently selected GoGuardian Offerings, features, integrations, and settings, GoGuardian may collect additional information about online account or activity, including chats (within GoGuardian Teacher), video conferencing recordings (including audio and videos of participating Students and chats including in a video conference) (within GoGuardian Teacher) a student’s browsing history, IP address, online content, snapshots, and key percentage variance (but not the actual inputs or sequence of inputs to identify patterns like gaming) collected when the user is logged on to the school-managed device or account.
- Note About Student-Generated Content: GoGuardian Offerings generally do not access or store student-generated content. However, students may at times create or store some student-generated content through GoGuardian Teacher and other GoGuardian Offerings may access and store student-generated content relevant to GoGuardian Offerings’ alert, smartfiltering, or similar functionality.
- Location Information: Using GoGuardian Admin, a School can collect the geographic location of devices for the purpose of locating and recovering its devices.
- Integration Information: If your School chooses to integrate GoGuardian with other Integration Offerings (e.g., integrate with other School software with GoGuardian Offerings), then we will collect the information necessary to integrate and perform our Offerings, including unique identifiers (e.g., Google classroom identifier to connect a student to his/her classroom if your School integrates Google Classroom with GoGuardian Teacher) and other information (e.g., Parent/Guardian Information if your School integrates GoGuardian Offerings with the Parent/Guardian Information from Classlink).
- Grade and Attendance Information: Depending on a School’s currently selected GoGuardian Offerings, features, selected Integrations Offerings, and settings, GoGuardian may receive grade and attendance information from a School such as grades on a particular classroom assignment and attendance to a class.
Please note that the information collected may change if your School starts utilizing new features and GoGuardian Offerings.
Use of Personal Student Information
- use Personal Student Information to provide and improve our Offerings and for legitimate educational purposes, including, allowing students to access our Offerings, restricting access to certain websites, alerting schools to online content viewed by students, as well as enabling teachers to distribute educational material, view student activity, and exchange messages with their students. GoGuardian may use Personal Student Information such as browsing information, device identifiers, cookies, or IP addresses to improve and understand usage of GoGuardian Offerings.
- use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information (information that does not, on its own, permit direct association with students’ identities) for any lawful purpose. For example, we may aggregate and use information regarding usage of GoGuardian Offerings to help us understand which parts of our Offerings that are of most interest to schools. Aggregated data is considered non-personal information.
GoGuardian may not:
- sell Personal Student Information
- use Personal Student Information to target advertisements or market to students or anyone else, to amass a profile about a K-12 educational student for a non-educational purpose, or for any purposes prohibited by the Family Educational and Privacy Rights Act (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99.3) (“FERPA”), applicable state law including California Business & Professions Code section 22584 (“SOPIPA”), and California Education Code section 49073.1.
Lastly, as a company committed to student privacy, GoGuardian has also signed the Student Privacy Pledge.
Disclosure of Personal Student Information to Third Parties
Access, Correction, and Deletion of Personal Student Information
If your School has any questions or concerns regarding this Disclosure, or if your School would like to access, correct, or delete Personal Student Information on behalf of your School or pursuant to parent/guardian requests in accordance with COPPA (or in accordance with FERPA, or other applicable laws), please contact us at email@example.com.
Consent to GoGuardian's Collection, Use and Disclosure of Student Personal Information
By your School submitting payment (regardless of whether the payment is provided by you, your School’s billing/accounting office, or other School department) to GoGuardian, your School is consenting to GoGuardian’s collection, use, and disclosure of Personal Student Information as set forth in this Disclosure, and you represent and warrant that you have legal authority to provide this consent on behalf of each student. You understand that your School will be able to use GoGuardian Offerings made available to them in connection with your students, subject to your School’s selected GoGuardian Offerings and settings.