Welcome to Physical Education at Belfair Elementary. My name is Shelley Bielec and I am the PE teacher at Belfair Elementary. I have taught PE, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grades for the past 30 years'. During my career I have also coached soccer, basketball, baseball, volleyball, and track ranging in ages from 5 to 18 years old.
As your child's Physical Education teacher I pledge to:
- establish a positive & safe learning environment for all students
- teach a variety of physical activities that make P.E. FUN
- create many opportunities for students of all abilities to be successful
- promote student honesty, integrity, and good sportsmanship
- facilitate the development & maintenance of physical fitness
- provide specific, constructive feedback to help students master motor skills
- prepare & encourage students to gain skills and be active for a lifetime
Your child will have P.E. every 3 or 4 days for 40 minutes. A class session will consist of a 5-10 minute health lesson, a skill taught, followed up with a fun game to apply the skills learned. Please help your child remember to wear sneakers or bring them on P.E. days for safety and success. Each child is expected to participate every day. If your child needs to be restricted from participating please send a written note or contact me by email or phone at 277-2277 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The curriculum I will be using to guide my lesson planning is Five for Life, Focused Fitness. It is a research-based curriculum that provides students with the knowledge, skills, and desire to live a fit and healthy life by engaging them in fun, meaningful lessons that promote activity, proper nutrition, and higher levels of fitness. The entire school implements the Leader in Me citizenship program and I have connected each of the 7 habits to P.E.
- BE PROACTIVE - Tell yourself "I can and I'll try"
- BEGIN WITH AN END IN MIND - Strive for Five
- PUT FIRST THINGS FIRST - Safety first, freeze, look, and listen at the signal
- THINK WIN-WIN - We encourage others
- SEEK FIRST TO UNDERSTAND, THEN TO BE UNDERSTOOD - We respect the rights of others
- SYNERGIZE - We work together and use kind words with everyone
- SHARPEN THE SAW - PE means personal expectation...Take pride in your stride Bobcats!
Today more than ever, our students need help leading active, healthy lives. As your child's physical education teacher I will be working to teach the fundamentals of healthy living. Physical fitness testing is an essential element of any health-related physical activity program. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders will be tested in five areas of fitness supporting the Five for Life curriculum; shuttle run, pacer endurance, push-ups, curl-ups, and sit & reach flexibility test. We will then talk about and do activities that will improve our fitness in each category for spring testing in the same way. Fitness testing will not affect your child's PE grade. Their PE grade is determined by participation, effort, attitude, behavior, cooperation, and sportsmanship.