The Special Services Office coordinates educational services to homeless students and ensures that homeless students have opportunities to enroll in, attend, and be successful in school. The intent is to assist students in their neighborhood school while they may be in transition due to disruptions in their current living situation. In some instances, if it will benefit the student, services are coordinated with other districts for special transportation needs between districts.
Your child may qualify and benefit from Homeless Education services if they lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence such as the following situations:
- Shelter, vehicle or campground
- Street, 24-hour restaurants, bus stations, etc.
- Displaced due to natural disaster (storm damage, flood, earthquake, etc.)
- Temporary placement in foster care or group home
- Abandoned building, trailer or other inadequate accommodations
- Doubled up with friends or relatives due to inability to find affordable housing
- “Couch surfing”
- “Bounced around” from family member to family member
- Unaccompanied youth living on their own.
If you believe your student requires assistance through the district’s homeless support you may either print and fill out the form below and return it to the counselor in your child's school or, please contact the Homeless Liaison, Thom Worlund, at (360) 277-2111.
State Homeless Coordinator
North Mason School District Homeless Education Board Policy and Procedures
North Mason School District Family Resource Coordinator
North Mason Food Bank
22471 NE State Route 3
Belfair, WA 98528
The Community Food Pantry
71 Old Belfair Hwy NE
Belfair, WA 98528
Mason County Shelter
216 N 1st St.
Shelton, WA 98584
TDD Call 711 or 1-800-833-6388
18400 E State Rt 3
Allyn, WA 98524